Week 2: What I Learned this Week


What a whirlwind!


I now realize what people mean when they sigh and say "First-year teachers... good luck." The road in the picture above works to show how this week went. Plenty of immensely important things grappled for my attention-like scooters whizzing by and car horns blaring-in my planning and preparation time this week. However, amidst the important details, I was calmed down by and blessed with the other new-hires' testimonies each morning after worship time.

My principal played the guitar! Teachers had tambourines! I work here!

Here's the crazy part: everyone is willing to answer every question I throw their way. The hierarchy o the school extends from Christlike servanthood rather than arrogance. My mentor teacher, Kate, has been immensely helpful. After we got back from our Professional Learning day at the Taichung campus, I was feeling under qualified and intimidated by the many amazing teachers at the other campuses; she encouraged me, gave me guidance, and lifted me up in prayer. I made the comparison with my sister over Facetime the other day that this staff feels less like a school and more like a church. It's more truth than comparison, to be truthful. A group of us had a spontaneous potluck last night! After a day of trying to juggle too many thoughts at once, being in a living room full of laughter and smiles felt like the sweetest medicine.

Like I touched on in the pre-PFO post, I'm joining a portion of the body of Christ that I never knew existed. I'm coming alongside them in the purpose of being salt and light (Matthew 5:13). I'm joining them in an awesome adventure! Speaking of which, I'm about to go to a game night at staff housing, so let me tack on a list of things I learned this week:

1. The swastika really is a symbol of good luck outside of WWII. No, really. It's on the walls of temples everywhere.

2. Speaking of temples, there are large trees growing next to most temples in the city. Paul, Kate's husband/amazing dad/cook/biologist/Africa-traveller, says that most of them are ficus or fig trees. They're planted for their feng shui (or rather, they're kept/not cut down).
The guy on the right is Paul! You already know the other two, loyal readers. Mckenzie and I tried pig ear "on three." The soup in front of me is the best pork and noodle soup I've ever had.

3. I have been sorted into a house at the school. Yes, you read that right. I work at Hogwarts now. I get to work here.

4. Pig ear is very chewy. It can be spicy as well.

Pig ear!
5. I need more practice in lesson-planning.

6. There are tiny huts on the tops of city buildings. These huts are pigeon coops. Many Taiwanese people release pigeons with tags on their legs and gamble on the pigeons arriving at their destination faster.

7. There's a particular breed of stray dog around town with black or caramel brown fur, pointy ears, and long legs: it's called a Taiwanese mountain dog.

8. Charter buses have karaoke microphones and TVs rather than DVD screens alone.

Our royal carriage to MA's Professional Learning Day at Taichung!

9. There's loads of farmland out by the school and our apartments, and I've made it my goal to figure out each field's crop. I haven't learned them all yet, but I know the first plot on the backroad to the school now: guava.

10. Ants love secret chocolate, chocolate that even you don't know you have crumbled at the bottom of your purse which is now covered in said ants (don't worry, it aired
out quickly).

11. Deep fried tempura food is my new favorite seafood thing.

12. My new favorite drink is sprite with aloe chunks in it, essentially.

13. Chinese pancakes are amazing, especially when made by my fellow new-hire, Caitlyn.

14. I love exploring the food here.

15. The staff at Morrison are a family.


16. It is good to follow Jesus.

The view of a gorgeous river headed out of Taichung!

Until next time!


P.S. I got my first piece of mail from the states! Mom sent my 4-pound Bible because it tipped the weight of my suitcases the day I flew over. Thanks, Mom!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Things I Learned from Year 6 (and some Summer Memories!)

50 Things from Year 5

From my last day in Quarantine: A Reflection on Year 4 and a Vision for Year 5